Page 1 of 1  [ 36 posts ]
Offline sermilan
Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm Post 
Certainly worth mentioning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UyI14L79T0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CawTYPtehk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 2BYqLpHKT0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... fA2hcf7k7c

This is very interesting since we're expecting a "close call" from the 46m wide asteroid 2012 DA14 later tonight.

Offline initial D AE86
Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:46 pm Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNfP-XqO ... BcSY_qeQgQ :D
heh I saw it 20 minutes before you post :wink:

Offline Litro
Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:08 pm Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDYdh7V0vyU

Offline initial D AE86
Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:11 pm Post 
good job Litro :D :thumb:

Offline Litro
Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:13 pm Post 
Its not my fault :D

Offline initial D AE86
Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:16 pm Post 
it seems to me, or I see a piece of asphalt / road? :wink:

Offline sermilan
Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm Post 
Litro wrote:

False alarm, Litro. It's a burning gas in Turkmenistan, "The Door to Hell".

Offline Litro
Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:34 pm Post 
its ok

Offline Speedy J
Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:11 pm Post 
Yeah epic happening. Good day to own a glass-company in Russia :)

Offline sermilan
Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:50 pm Post 
:lol:

A bit more on this one, according to Margaret Campbell Brown, University in Western Ontario:
Today's impact released hundreds of kilotons of energy, which means it was bigger than the nuclear weapon that North Korea tested just days a go, but it was smaller than the one that hit Siberia in 1908.

It is estimated that this meteorite was approx. 15m in diametar (about 3 times less than the one that is just passing us) and that it had about 40 tons of mass.

Offline DOC
Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:58 pm Post 
Hmmm i am not a Doomsday Prophet ....all Ends 2012... what a Fake :zzz: but isnt it a bit of a Warning Today? :huh:

We have the Knowledge, we have the Technology, we have the Resources all we dont have is the Money.... :roflol: :fp:

If a big one is going to hit us some Day and we have nothing to Defend ( forget Bruce Willis, he is realy to old ) then the survivors, if there some, can try to Eat Money... :honger:

All End 2013!!! :thumb:

Offline sermilan
Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:28 pm Post 
DOC wrote:
but isnt it a bit of a Warning Today?

No.
This things happen occasionally and this is nothing unusual. Especially knowing that there is a whole asteroid belt so near to us, between Mars and Jupiter. Jupiter's enormous mass could easily tilt one of these asteroid's orbit and could send it potentially towards Earth (but that's also very unlikely to happen).

A larger one stroke Tunguska area in Siberia in 1908. Luckily it didn't hit populated area.

The one that is just passing us right now, the "2012 DA14" is 3 times more in diameter and, as the one from this morning is reported to released "hundreds of kilotons of energy", the 2012 DA14 would release up to 3 megatons.

Offline DOC
Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 pm Post 
sermilan wrote:
No.
This things happen occasionally and this is nothing unusual. Especially knowing that there is a whole asteroid belt so near to us, between Mars and Jupiter

I know the Facts very well but i Wonder that we are still Helpless??? :huh: Clever Species really :respect:

:wink:

Offline sermilan
Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:09 pm Post 
DOC wrote:
...but i Wonder that we are still Helpless??? :huh:
We are helpless even without meteorites :lol:

But yes... we are so far away of joining minds to work on something helpful for the whole planet.
But C.E.R.N. might prove me wrong, hmmm....

Offline Frozeni
Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:49 am Post 
Damn, thats.. interesting :)

I certainly hope that the big ones will miss our planet in the near future..

Offline v8star
Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:09 am Post 
Mankind has the Technology and is able to fight/defend against eachother. And Nations still upgrading and preparing. :fp:

The fate of Humanity is destroying themselves.

Asteroids/Meteorites just help.

Amen :woop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7p6ItXdtT8

Offline sermilan
Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:08 am Post 
v8star wrote:
Mankind has the Technology and is able to fight/defend against eachother. And Nations still upgrading and preparing.

The fate of Humanity is destroying themselves.

Unfortunately, most of that is true. And it is that most of the inventions that could've helped the whole humanity were firstly used for war purposes (nuclear fission for nuclear bombs, for example). But on a larger scale, humanity has always been advancing. It is just that a good idea had to swim through oceans of fools first, to reach the cost of reason.

On the subject, here's the video that explains both "Russian" meteorite and asteroid 2012 DA14 and it explains that those two were not in correlation with each other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo0zFQkY ... r_embedded

Offline OTone
Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:42 am Post 
If DA14 hitted us it would rip a city apart. :nah:

But remember, space is immense so chances of having such disaster are very (very) unlikely to happen.
But even if a considerable large object was found coming directly to our planet we would have plenty of time to find a way to change its orbit just by doing a small impulse.
Planning a mass driver or a rocket raid would be more than enough to make the asteroid avoid us. It is 100% possible to do this today. :wink:

So no big worries about it.

But this time it wasn't a meteorite:

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 pm Post 
OTone wrote:
If DA14 hitted us it would rip a city apart.

No problem, we can do without Lille.

OTone wrote:
we would have plenty of time to find a way to change its orbit just by doing a small impulse.

Yeah, the same amount of time with DA14 right? ;)

OTone wrote:
are very (very) unlikely to happen.

Ever seen the dark side of the moon? (f)

The moon has no atmosphere or wind, the amount of craters tell a story.

Or do you know about this Earth impact? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater

OTone wrote:
So no big worries about it.

:roll:

The fact that nobody said anything about the DA14 impact is very worrying.

Offline Speedy J
Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:43 pm Post 
cargame.nl wrote:
Or do you know about this Earth impact? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater

Nice to read :thumb:
But to be honest: if such an impact was to be expected now, it would be kind of useless to worry about it :wink:

Offline sermilan
Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:31 pm Post 
cargame.nl wrote:

In fact, they did. It is said that if it was to hit the Earth, it would be with similar effect as the one from 1908.
Furthermore, it will still pose the threat as its orbit is small and it will come back often in the future. The prediction is that there is a 1:3230 chance that it will hit the Earth between 2020 and 2082.

Offline Sorin
Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:34 pm Post 
If Chuck Norris were in Russia , the meteorite wouldn`t hit Earth.

Offline Speedy J
Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:46 pm Post 
:D
If Chuck Norris were in Russia, he would have caught the meteorite while drinking green tea and thrown it back into space with Mach 65.

Offline Sorin
Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:07 pm Post 
True Story Speedy
:yes:

Offline OTone
Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:29 pm Post 
cargame.nl wrote:
No problem, we can do without Lille.

No clue on what you are talking about.

cargame.nl wrote:
Yeah, the same amount of time with DA14 right?

Sermilan already answered you. Do you really think DA14 was discovered 1 week ago? 1 month? 1 year? :zzz:

cargame.nl wrote:
Ever seen the dark side of the moon? (f)

The moon has no atmosphere or wind, the amount of craters tell a story.

Yes I already did saw the dark side of the moon. Do you have any idea of how long those craters are there?

And by not having an atmosphere the moon is much more vulnerable.
Also, by not having it those craters will be there until the end of time because there are no winds as you correctly said.

The atmosphere alone can destroy most of the stuff that is coming towards us. (ofc not big giant asteroids)
The asteroid that hitted Russia (around 17 meters wide) had the equivalent power of 30 Hiroshima atomic bombs when it exploded by entering the atmosphere.

"The meteor above western Siberia entered the Earth's atmosphere about 9:20 a.m. local time (10:20 p.m. EST Thursday) at a hypersonic speed of at least 33,000 mph (54,000 kph) and shattered into pieces about 30-50 kilometers (18 to 32 miles) high, the Russian Academy of Sciences said."

Never knew about that chicxulub crater. As I understood in the link you posted theoricaly two asteroids hitted being one about 170km wide and the other around 60km, pretty big difference huh?

cargame.nl wrote:

There is a very good explanation for it; Imagine if this asteroid would really hit our planet and this situation would be announced to the world.
Do you really think it is a good idea causing panic all over the world while something could be done to avoid the asteroid come across the Earth?

Opinions I guess.

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:24 am Post 
OTone wrote:
Sermilan already answered you. Do you really think DA14

Fuck those names.. I was talking about that thing which hitted Russia. NOBODY SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THAT or action being taken.

And then you are saying don't worry, we take a rocket and blast it out of the sky. Right... Didnt happen hmm?

OTone wrote:
There is a very good explanation for it;

Yes, nobody knew.

OTone wrote:
Do you have any idea of how long those craters are there?

Doesn't matter, a meteor has no date/time, again; see the Russia event.

But I'm not going to worry about anything, I'm only saying, don't count on any smart intervention from somebody with surface to air rockets or whatever because it's not going to happen.

Offline OTone
Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 pm Post 
cargame.nl wrote:
Fuck those names.. I was talking about that thing which hitted Russia. NOBODY SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THAT or action being taken.
And then you are saying don't worry, we take a rocket and blast it out of the sky. Right... Didnt happen hmm?

And I was talking about bigger objects like DA14. Read my first post again please.
You say fuck those names, but you ignored the fact (or you simply didn't know) that scientists already noticed DA14's approach at least an year ago:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news174.html

cargame.nl wrote:
I'm only saying, don't count on any smart intervention from somebody with surface to air rockets or whatever because it's not going to happen.

How can you be sure about that? We (at least with some decent space technology, so more than a few centuries) never faced such situation. You can't tell that is not going to happen.
Again, it is your opinion.

cargame.nl wrote:
Doesn't matter

lol Seriously?

Even if the moon had 1 million years old the amount of craters you can see on it would not be a big warning to us.
Moon has supposedly more than 4 billion years old :wink: Moon is still here telling his story.

Doesn't matter?

Offline Frozeni
Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:02 pm Post 
I say we send Bruce Willis with his team in space to drill holes in the asteroids and blow them all up :thumb:

No, but seriously.. NASA is keeping close track on objects what can cause catastrophical damage, closest one will be 2880 with 1:300 chance to impact earth. However there will be ones what won't be spotted early enough. We just need to hope its not one of the big ones what wipe out the whole damn world :-?

Like Dave said though, it's quite interesting that there is not much news on the russia-asteroid.. would be nice to have atleast something, like "okay, we didn't see it coming" or "didn't want to cause panic"..

Offline Nick7
Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:19 am Post 
Frozeni wrote:
Like Dave said though, it's quite interesting that there is not much news on the russia-asteroid.. would be nice to have atleast something, like "okay, we didn't see it coming" or "didn't want to cause panic"..

.. or they could say 'we calculated it's gonna hit somewhere in Russia, so we didn't care.' :devil:

Offline sermilan
Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:31 am Post 
It didn't actually hit anywhere, as it burned and exploded in the air, so.... a flood or hurricane are a bigger threat than this.
This one was about the size of a goalkeeper's area in football and DA14 is about half the football field. Just imagine how hard was to spot any of them hundreds of thousands kilometers away...

But anyhow, I don't think we have the technology to stop them hitting the Earth yet.

Offline kiyoshi
Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 pm Post 
Currently there is nothing we could realistically do to 'defend' earth from such an impact. There are plently of objects flying about which are large enough to cause big problems which we are not aware of, or would only possibly be aware of less than 1 day before an impact. And I'd say that whether an object disintegrates in the atmosphere or not depends a lot on the angle it aproaches at. If it's vertical, then it will have a much greater chance of getting to the surface. Those are also the hardest to spot from a distance. :)
No matter what 'might be possible' or looks cool in the movies, we are very vulnerable to such things.

But don't panic. :)

Offline DOC
Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:03 pm Post 
No Panic,

if the big one comes what is so bad about it? It maybe destroy 99% of Life on Earth but it gives the Planet a Chance to Restart like some times before. And with a little Luck, in some 100000 or more Years a truly intelligent Species have the Chance to grow.
Humanity had his Chance and Failed.... Time for a Restart! :dag:

Offline sermilan
Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:07 pm Post 
DOC wrote:
...in some 100000 or more Years a truly intelligent Species have the Chance to grow.
Humanity had his Chance and Failed.... Time for a Restart!

100.000 years is a too small period for an intelligence to evolve. Remember that dinosaurs ruled the world for about 200 million years and never evolved into something creatively intelligent. It is only when they disappeared primates evolved (and it took tens of millions of years).

It is "only" 2.5 million years ago that the our first ancestor started walking on two legs (homo habilis, if I remember well) and from there primates evolved (again, if I remember well :roll: ). First big civilization is only about 5.000 years old and technological boom started less than 250 years a go. 20th century was all about advancing in technology and new discoveries in every scientific field. Late 20th century was all about IT advancement that lasts even today.

So, on a larger scale we are advancing, although we do appear to act like complete retards from time to time. We are still babies (remember how babies through things at about 1 year old, just to check how they'll behave, without caring if it's a delicate thing or not).

This rapidly accelerated progress in the last 200 years and especially in the last 100 years caught us unprepared. We just can't deal with it properly (as humanity, the whole). We still carry genes that teach us to fight for our piece of land and to destroy our competition, to dominate the rest. For food = survival (although we started including "stuff" in that list :) ) and women = reproduction. That genes still teach us to show no mercy to our competitors when we feel engendered.

We don't need to be written off, as we ARE by far the most intelligent species and the biggest achievement of Earth's nature. We only need to evolve into something more reasonable :) and that will take time.

Offline Frozeni
Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:14 pm Post 
Sermilan pretty said exatly as i thought as well :)

Biggest risk i think is global nuclear war, but cold-war prediod was the most risky time for that to happen.

Would be nice to see how humanity or any other advanced lifeform looks when they're very advanced =)

Offline sermilan
Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 pm Post 
Frozeni wrote:
Biggest risk i think is global nuclear war, but cold-war prediod was the most risky time for that to happen.

Read this

Frozeni wrote:
Would be nice to see how humanity or any other advanced lifeform looks when they're very advanced =)

Well then, here it is: :lol:

Sorry, I just couldn't help spoiling a good thread with this :roll: :lol:

Offline Frozeni
Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:05 am Post 
sermilan wrote:
Read this

Yeah, we got told of that in the history lesson at school :)

[ 36 posts ]