agenda   !top [???]   !pb 24h   S0 S2 GTI   S1  S2  GTI   !ex   !lp

Page 1 of 1  [ 29 posts ]
Offline OTone
Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:00 pm Post 
By american standards I already knew it was legal, but not by FIA rules. Thanks to my country mate A. Felix da Costa for clarifying this.

Link

Dave... :p

Antonio Felix da Costa for the win. Image

I wonder why bump draft is being seen as a bad move by some people. If it is used by people who knows how to do it to catch someone in front (just like in the video) why not?

Offline sermilan
Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:02 pm Post 
Antonio Felix da Costa is a brave man :) to this with a formula in RL

One of the reasons why bump draft is not a very fair move because it's like a fight with two against one, which is not very fair, isn't it?
The guy in front has probably shown some skills in driving and setting up the car so he is kind of entitled to be in front, while you don't need much brain to bump draft the whole field if necessary.

Offline kiyoshi
Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:46 pm Post 
That's a crazy & dangerous move in an OW car isn't it? For lots of reasons.
And what if the leading driver doesn't want to be pushed? He has no choice & is unable to turn, lift the throttle or brake when he chooses.
It's one thing positioning your car on track, but another to physically push.
I know people will disagree, but that's my view & I'm sticking with it. Racing should always be non-contact.

Offline OTone
Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 am Post 
I have to disagree with you at "if the leading driver doesn't want to be pushed?"
Wasn't the leading driver, the battle was for the 2nd position.
He bump drafted purely because would be good for both to catch the leader of the race and keep the win (and the Championship Title) open to at least 3 people.

Why should the guy in front lift the throttle or brake in this situation when he is closing his gap for the leader much faster then he would without the "little help"? That doesn't make sense.

You can notice that he lift the throttle way earlier to leave the guy in front with all the space in world to brake and make the turn.
In my view its a bit crazy and a bit dangerous move too yes but if it is done by pro drivers it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Offline Ulmo
Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:09 am Post 
bump draft is life

Offline Speedy J
Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:19 am Post 
kiyoshi wrote:
And what if the leading driver doesn't want to be pushed?

That is why Da Costa should join TS also...

Offline Frozeni
Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 am Post 
Hmm... This is so situation based it's hard to call an opinion :)

I quess with just 2 drivers, who know what theyre doing, bumpdrafting is ok.. As long as there is noone behind them to lose distance because of that (sometimes very annoying when the racing is very close).

But then on the other hand, i dont mind if they do bumpdraft to gain time on the guy infront of them.. since in the end it will come to racing who gets the spot.

However i enjoy way more of a fair, high-speed, non-contact race. ;)

Offline kiyoshi
Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:55 pm Post 
Ronus wrote:
I have to disagree with you at "if the leading driver doesn't want to be pushed?"
Wasn't the leading driver, the battle was for the 2nd position.

By 'the leading driver', I meant the one that is being pushed.

Quote:
He bump drafted purely because would be good for both to catch the leader of the race and keep the win (and the Championship Title) open to at least 3 people.

He bumpdrafted purely because it would be good for himself. :)

Quote:
Why should the guy in front lift the throttle or brake in this situation when he is closing his gap for the leader much faster then he would without the "little help"? That doesn't make sense.

Because he can see things the guy behind can't. An approaching corner, other car spinning, debris on the track, the list goes on...

Quote:
You can notice that he lift the throttle way earlier to leave the guy in front with all the space in world to brake and make the turn.

What if he didn't? The guy in front has no choice in when that happens. Someone else is directly affecting the control of his car.

Quote:
In my view its a bit crazy and a bit dangerous move too yes but if it is done by pro drivers it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Now that doesn't make sense. ;) It should be no problem, unless the guy behind is a bit crazy & 'a bit' dangerous? You just admitted he is...

It's a bit different in NASCAR, where the cars are designed for this, with 'safe' contact areas. With OW cars, it just seems like an all-round bad idea.

Offline OTone
Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 pm Post 
kiyoshi wrote:
Because he can see things the guy behind can't. An approaching corner, other car spinning, debris on the track, the list goes on...

He knows where the braking point is to make the chicane. He was running there the whole weekend.
At that time would be very unlikely to someone spin as the only car in front of them was the leader of the race and if the leader of the race spun he could see it easily.
If there was a car spinning on the straight or debris on track it would appear a yellow flag.

kiyoshi wrote:
Now that doesn't make sense. ;) It should be no problem, unless the guy behind is a bit crazy & 'a bit' dangerous? You just admitted he is...

You haven't got my point... or I didn't expressed myself as I wanted.

I said it was dangerous in my view, not on his view by the looks of things. Otherwise he wouldn't do it I guess.

Also, he also did it again in race 2 and, guess what, nothing happened.

You should see some go-kart races. :wink:

Offline Litro
Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:13 pm Post 
OW server just did some test with dis! :D

Offline kiyoshi
Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:21 pm Post 
I shot an apple off the top of my friends head yesterday, with a crossbow. With one eye covered.
I knew just how high to shoot. Yes it was a bit crazy & dangerous, but I'm a pro. He didn't die.

I want to do it again tomorrow, but he refuses. I just don't understand it. I proved it's perfectly safe. :shrug:

I do understand Ronus :) but you seem convinced there is no bad side to this, whereas I think it's really taking too much risk. Motorsport is dangerous enough, but at least usually you are responsible for the control of your own car, and make your own decisions. I wouldn't want to trust some of that with someone else. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. :)

Offline TEM|Y.Laprevotte
Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:36 pm Post 
Felix Da Costa is the real deal :thumb:

When asked by English journalist Will Buxton if he learned that trick from NASCAR, he answered "no mate... that's from karting."

____

Still not a big fan of OW bump drafting in LFS. It's all too easy comparing to real life. In real life I would imagine that there is always a big risk to spin your opponent or lose your rear wing, so you can be sure that only the cream of the cream will attempt it. But in LFS whatever "idiot with a big right foot" can get away with it. And there's a big advantage to be gained since many LFS tracks have giant straights(AS11, AS3 and the likes).

Not to mention the possible complications with lag...

... or the fact that many drivers can't deal with situations involving 3+ cars AND bumpdrafting. Check this old video from mp3astra, covering an AS3 race with FX3.

Link

_____

On an unrelated note... Here's a cool bumpdrafting vid featuring Spec Miatas at Mosport :honger:

Link

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:56 pm Post 
After some XFG/XRG fun tonight with sermilan and eeeehhh some others.. Can't remember.. I think its kind of OK.

Still not sure for FBM though but hhmm ... :roll:

Offline Frozeni
Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:48 pm Post 
As long as people know what they're doing..

Offline oz3bto
Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 pm Post 
Part of the game irl

Same is if you are in front and your teammate back he will try to block others from passing

Offline KimJongIl
Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:31 pm Post 
I think the biggest problem is just the lag.. Car1 drafting Car2. Car2 has a small lag, Car1 drives "into the space" of Car2. LFS physics engine looks at this and goes "Hmm.. you should be here." and ejects the poor guy with the power of a thousands suns into Nirvana.

Offline Cornys
Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:28 am Post 
Well, last year's Kyoto 400 which I headed under Realistic NASCAR had allowed it, and it will again allow it this year. It doesn't cause much of an issue on the oval as long as the pushing car remain on the right hand side (outside) as to avoid spinning the driver ahead into the wall. For the most part is wasn't used though because of the fact that it was a 216 lap race and you had to actually make it to the end. :thumb:

For public racing it's definitly not suggested though. OW cars are entirely out of the question though in LFS. Lag and you have major issues where as in the Kyoto 400 and the XRR if you lag you only need to make a save and you have some rear bumper damage. :thumb:

Offline rageshgr
Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:45 pm Post 
Kiyoshi literally spoke my mind. As exciting as it seems and as effective as it seems to catch a leading driver, it is too risky in a non-boxy , OW car at high speeds especially in a non-oval track. One time you can pull it off, but when you do it 100 times, human error creeps in and 1 unlucky time things are bound to go wrong. Then there is no point in blaming each other after a race position is lost, car damaged, or after you lose a limb or life. But may be we can try it in LFS where we won't die ;)

Offline sermilan
Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:29 pm Post 
Btw, Antonio Felix da Costa will drive for Red Bull during the young driver test at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi :wink:

Offline OTone
Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:46 pm Post 
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Totally pulverized in the last race in WSBR at Barcelona. 27 seconds advantage.

He isn't the fastest driver in qualifying, but in race he is a beast. 8)

Really want to see him in Formula 1 in 2014.

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:47 pm Post 
Ehhh.. What has that to do with this topic?

Offline OTone
Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 pm Post 
I agree.. I wasn't the person who wrote the previous post. :roll:

lol

Relax :huh: the topic is already enough of discussion, why not mentioning the astonishing rising of da Costa in the last few months as I posted the video about him in the OP?
Not completely offtopic :x

Offline sermilan
Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:28 pm Post 
cargame.nl wrote:
Ehhh.. What has that to do with this topic?

Not much, but the guy is really amazing and worth mentioning here, as his clip opened this topic :wink:

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:53 am Post 
Sorry.. I sometimes do not read postings at all.. Just global titles and some random comments (you can call it some type of speed reading).

So this topic also goes about da Costa. Really funny that I wasn't interested in him but asked him where his pit crew and former LFS CG team member Joey (jorisp) was just after his F3 race :lol: . Nice person, nice dad. A 'warmth' which almost is not possible in the racing scene.

Offline TEM|Y.Laprevotte
Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:19 pm Post 
OTone wrote:

Totally pulverized in the last race in WSBR at Barcelona. 27 seconds advantage.

He isn't the fastest driver in qualifying, but in race he is a beast. 8)

Really want to see him in Formula 1 in 2014.

He really had a special 2012 season.

Never drove a car this powerful before, missed the first 5 races of the F3.5 season, yet finished only finished 24 points behind the champion Robin Frijns in the end.

Granted, Vergne did a similar thing in 2010, but still.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Toro Rosso in 2014, or mid-2013 if Vergne and/or Ricciardo don't deliver.

Offline sermilan
Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 am Post 
I was perhaps a little anxious beforehand, but ultimately the pedals and the steering wheel are in the usual places.

Good conclusion, Mr. Future Champion :thumb: :lol:
He is definitely on the right path to become one.

Offline Pierre Dole
Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:05 pm Post 
OTone wrote:
I wonder why bump draft is being seen as a bad move by some people. If it is used by people who knows how to do it to catch someone in front (just like in the video) why not?

Imagin an FZ5 would bumb draft an LX6. ;-) Or if it would be allowed some noobs would always bumb draft you over your braking point. It think it has a sens why its not allowed.

Offline OTone
Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 am Post 
You are not understanding my point.

It's obvious that some people don't even know what bumpdraft is, even less how to do it.

What I tried to say was that bumpdrafting is possible in LFS but only if you know what are you doing.

Who bumpdraft people in your brake point? That is not bumpdrafting.

Offline Pierre Dole
Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:42 am Post 
OTone wrote:
What I tried to say was that bumpdrafting is possible in LFS but only if you know what are you doing.

Thats the point. You cant know it, cause you never can count on the driver in front of you is able to handle the bump draft. Sure, two experienced drivers could do this without any mistakes. But if you would allow it to everyone, it would end in chaos.

[ 29 posts ]