agenda   !top [???]   !pb 24h   S0 S2 GTI   S1  S2  GTI   !ex   !lp

Page 1 of 1  [ 46 posts ]
Offline Ted
Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:17 pm Post 
My new connection at work. My old connection was slower downloading than this one is uploading :o

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DZ0SfbhYlVPNlHCp94Oo-y9twxHhAX9qen8SIX_21XE/edit

And yes, I realize this is not the fastest for a work connection, but it's 10x faster than what I'm used to.

Now if only I could afford a symmetrical connection :D

Also, was wondering if anyone has a fiber connection, and if they could post a speed test. Google supposedly has Gigabit to the home (in very limited areas).

Offline mike259
Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:49 pm Post 
Good connection but I would be happy if at least half the people in lfs had a connection that doesn't use cables made out of turnips and their ping is bigger than the lag.

Offline Ted
Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:57 pm Post 
mike259 wrote:
I would be happy if at least half the people in lfs had a connection that doesn't use cables made out of turnips and their ping is bigger than the lag.

LOL, agreed. Even when my connection was 4 Meg down/500K up, LFS ran perfectly. Which leads me to believe that half these guys have computers full of malware and infections, with 3 file sharing clients running at once. :roll:

Most of the population's approach to cars applies to computers...
They fire it up and go, having absolutely no idea what is going on under the hood.
"If it still runs, it must be fine"

Offline Ted
Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:47 am Post 
mike259 wrote:
their ping is bigger than the lag

Lag on a networking level is excessive ping, and sometimes, outright loss of the packet because the path to the server is congested (the routers between you and the server are overloaded, or your ISP over-sold their bandwidth).
But lag can also be caused by hardware or software issues on either end of the connection, such as a machine using 100% of the CPU due to infections, a file sharing client eating up bandwidth, or an intermittent solder joint on your LAN port.

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:20 pm Post 
Ted wrote:
Google supposedly has Gigabit to the home (in very limited areas).

Its new in the USA but already widely available in Europe (for a change).

Example;
http://www.kpn.com/prive/pakketten.htm#tabcontent2

* OK it's only 0.5 Gbit/sec but even that is ridiculous for home purposes.

Offline Brillemonster
Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:32 pm Post 
There is only one problem with gigabit connections:
The glassfibre-cables have to be present... And most houses are not connected to them at the moment, only companies have that. And not all of them have it.
Even worse:
At my work we have two buildings, 500-1000m from each other. And between the buildings we have glassfibre, we have glassfibre for specific programs (which use a bandwidth of 2 MB or so) to external connections. And for the rest of all the data usage we have a 100 MBit connection, and it needs more bandwidth than we have....
(I work at a school...)

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:41 pm Post 
I am from the days that 38k4 modems were fast. :(

Offline Rolly
Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:36 am Post 
i am from the days when pigeons were fastest mode of communication :dag: :fp: :lol: :thumb: O:) :roll: :huh: :o

Offline Brillemonster
Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:57 am Post 
cargame.nl wrote:
I am from the days that 38k4 modems were fast.

Yeah, I can remember that as well.

Offline OTone
Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:58 am Post 
Nice connection Ted but the ping is very high. 5-10ms maximum would be just fine!

Enjoy it :thumb:

Offline mike259
Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:52 am Post 
There is only one problem with gigabit connections:The glassfibre-cables have to be present... And most houses are not connected to them at the moment, only companies have that. And not all of them have it.Even worse:At my work we have two buildings, 500-1000m from each other. And between the buildings we have glassfibre, we have glassfibre for specific programs (which use a bandwidth of 2 MB or so) to external connections. And for the rest of all the data usage we have a 100 MBit connection, and it needs more bandwidth than we have....(I work at a school...)

The so called 'problems' that fiber Internet has is that it costs a lot to have, to start with the cable itself is more expensive and delicate that coaxial for example which also costs @3 Euros to connect to another one unlike fiber which is done by fusion splicing with a machine that cost @ 10.000 Euros and needs a qualified man. Until now it was the cheap bit because a usual PON (Passive Optical Network) is a cheaper solution but GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) need a server management and server which together are @ 30.000 Euros. Now even if you have one of those connections most of the servers around don't support it but lately many have upgraded like Adobe from which can be downloaded with 12 MB/s but the one that is on top is YouTube that can go up to 30M if ran in buffers or in usual page around 8M.

Offline Nick7
Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm Post 
cargame.nl wrote:
I am from the days that 38k4 modems were fast. :(

That was faaaaassssstttttt!!!!
2400bps modems ftl! :[

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm Post 
Even worked with 1k2 but I didn't want to go back that far here. :lief:

I still have that equipment by the way! I was on 5 frequencies running a BBS/node/chatbox.. Costed loads of money :fp:

Something like this guy is doing;

Link

This is also where my actual nickname is coming from (in my avatar). Never stopped using it 8)

Offline OTone
Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:22 pm Post 
I bet this is what Sorin uses when joins LFS and TS.

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 pm Post 
:lol:

Offline mike259
Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:40 pm Post 
That's old for sure but then again the Internet has it's rots from telephone exchanges, then again I don't like to talk to much about the old since pushing forwards with the technology is the right way imo, to bad the biggest and most ISP don't do that.

Offline OTone
Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:50 pm Post 
I never had something less than 56kbs internet connection. And I remember that it was so so so so so slow and expensive.

So I consider my first decent internet connection back in 2002, DSL connection if I remember correctly. 512kbs down and 128kbs up. It was like a big bang for me. mIRC :lief: I really miss those times. MSN ruined it.

I now have fiber optic connection, it is really amazing. Extremely fast.

Offline Ted
Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:58 am Post 
mike259 wrote:
Adobe from which can be downloaded with 12 MB/s but the one that is on top is YouTube that can go up to 30M

I just hit 55 Mbps @ windows update, and hit bursts of 65Mbps downloading Open Office :o

Come to find out, this is a 100M down/10M up line from Charter Communications (Claimed anyway. It actually averages about 50/5).

That packet radio stuff is awesome. My dad is a ham, he built a small (40 foot?) radio tower in his back yard.

Doh. I just noticed he listed in MB / second, not Mbps. Big difference :oops:

Offline Litro
Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:09 pm Post 
Hell yeah i got new conn too :lol:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2170986715.png

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:40 pm Post 
This is far more important;

Ping ànd jitter. Especially for racing on CG, when you select server/piramid Roubiax. Speed says nothing about the quality of international connections.

Offline Litro
Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:26 am Post 
Good too.

Offline Frozeni
Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:37 am Post 
Happy with this :)

Offline Speedy J
Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:47 pm Post 
Wireless, good I think...

PS What is jitter?

Offline Frozeni
Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:52 pm Post 
I think it's the amount how much the latency changes during the test.. not sure though ;) .. could be earthshake meter too D;

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:17 pm Post 
:lol:

No it is. And its the most important bit because it leads to 'jumpy' cars, car jumping from place to place on the track.. Not in a normal logical way.

Offline kiyoshi
Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 pm Post 
How common is it to see a LFS car driven in a normal logical way. :)

Offline Skagen
Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:49 pm Post 

Not bad from Norway I think, with wireless between my computer and modem. :)

Offline OTone
Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:22 pm Post 

As Portugal don't have a server to test ping my is very high I think. :nah:

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 pm Post 
Nuremberg? Why? :P

Offline OTone
Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:07 am Post 
When I made the ping test it went to the Madrid server but I got massive jitter, see:

So I started trying other servers and the nuremberg was the best 8)
It is strange because when I do Speedtests the test is done with a Portuguese server:

Anyway, I don't know what Jitter means to be honest lol

Offline Daviv
Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:30 am Post 
I'm living like 15 km from paris, and my connection is so bad... France is really a shame for this:

Like 3mb/s in download and 0,4 mb/s in up. My ping is around 60ms.

I'll modify my post when i'm at home tonight, with images ^^..
Wanna go to portugal just for the connection... :D

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:59 am Post 
Well Ronus is selecting the wrong server for ping and jitter test. Roubaix Ronus, Roubiax. Its a different piramid :P

Speed is very nice but that doesn't really matter for gaming.

Offline mike259
Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:17 am Post 
Is this closer to Roubiax... :D

(I just had to :))

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:38 pm Post 
It shows that distance matters yes. Good point.

The furthest and one of the worst possible connection you can have;

(although jitter is perfect)

Offline Nicce
Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 pm Post 
like a everyday connection for me.. :)

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:16 pm Post 
Distance 150 miles. :roll:

Maybe better to stop this. :x

Offline mike259
Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:45 pm Post 
Well I did say in a previous post to use Roubiax because pingtest.net does not have a tester is Paris but most of the connections go through ''rbx''. Also to remind again about jitter, PING and DISTANCE are variable for everyone, the bigger the distance the bigger the ping and as long as your ping is under 250ms it's ok if the JITTER is also under 10ms (or 25%(it's what I consider the limit usability)).

Offline Litro
Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:13 pm Post 
Hehe, dis is active topic now :D

Offline Nicce
Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:12 pm Post 
:thumb: :thumb:

Offline Daviv
Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:44 pm Post 
So as i said before, my ping.. That's not so bad.. Well i live near Paris, that can explain why :

But now... My connection --' :

Offline OTone
Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:41 am Post 
Not bad ping. To play LFS I think is perfect :thumb:

Offline mike259
Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 am Post 
For ~250K it's a lot ! what infrastructure is it... 3G... :D

Offline Daviv
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:20 am Post 
In 3g, i get less ping.. Around ~30ms...
Tethering for the win.

But well, i don't get infinite Data :(

How is the 4G in other countries?. I know that in Portugal, they have it since January 2012.There maybe 2013... x)

Offline langtall
Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:36 am Post 
4G is being tested in the Netherlands at the moment, it will take some time before you can fully use it here. Especially coverage isn't complete yet.

Offline Frozeni
Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:27 am Post 
It's under testing in few main cities here in Finland as well.. we'll see how it goes ;)

Offline oz3bto
Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:00 pm Post 
Mobile broeadbaand

And with the antenna outside the window

[ 46 posts ]