agenda   !top [???]   !pb 24h   S0 S2 GTI   S1  S2  GTI   !ex   !lp

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Offline yeager
Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:51 am Post 
I love the CarGame servers. They have totally replaced the CTRA servers from a year ago and now have some superb mixed class racing.

However I would like you to consider changing a setting on the server to switch to Forced Cockpit mode. The reason I suggest this is that when you set the server in this fashion, you disable the ability to display the racing line. I think that making this chance would really seperate the REAL racers from those who HAVE to rely on the racing line for their turn in / braking cues on the circuit.

If you feel this is too much of a change, how about making it just for a few weeks, see how people react? I think that removing the racing line from view would mean a much more interesting race.

Offline Jenk
Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 am Post 
People need to learn, and won't be willing to do it offline. I didn't. I used to race every track with race-line on so I knew I wasn't going to go full speed into a hairpin that I didn't know was coming on a track I am yet to learn.

After a while I learnt my own racing line and turned off the in-game line.

Besides, with open layout tracks you don't get a racing line anyway and it's always carnage on those..

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:05 am Post 
Yup forcing views, forcing controllers, forcing this, that... It ain't going to happen.

If you want that, join a team and do some league racing. And even there you have to look very good to find such rules. (f)

Offline mike259
Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:26 am Post 
I wold like to force something as well, I want to force the usage of stupid rules. You have the name of a guy that "forced the rules" with somebodies idea so I have my reservations with this suggestion.

Offline Litro
Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 pm Post 
Baah, 99,9 % use that racing line, and without that they would be slow

Offline boothy
Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:40 pm Post 
How exactly would it make the racing more interesting? After a while the fast guys will still be fast, so what will have changed apart from new guys taking longer to get up to speed and accidents being more likely to happen?

You could always just run all the tracks in open config mode, that gets rid of the racing line :wink:

iRacing doesn't have a racing line and I and others from LFS who use the racing line do perfectly fine there without one. And what is the racing line anyway, except a big red thing on the tarmac to give you a reference point where to brake? At Okayama, iRacing's newest track, T1 has tyre skid/rubber marks on the track going into the turn, at Road Atlanta's chicane there's white lines on the road, and being real life tracks they generally have more braking markers and better reference points than LFS.

Offline Skagen
Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:45 pm Post 
Problem with the open tracks is that the same layout has objects placed differently, so it is very difficult to learn the breaking points, and so on. I don't remember excatcly which, but AS11 or AS23 is different on the S2 server and the GTR server. Really confusing the first laps when your breaking points from the day before are suddenly gone. :huh:

Offline Litro
Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:03 pm Post 
Aha, That's the bad issue about open tracks. There are no standarts yet and splits/objects are not the same for all.

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:19 pm Post 
No there are standards (read lfsforum developments) and no layouts are not different between S2/S1/GTR/OW. It actually is impossible because the same directory is used.

But, we (EQ & I) are currently in a process implementing new things/tracks/features/options so things can change from day to day...

There is always AMG AS3 if you don't want any change (f)

[ 9 posts ]