agenda   !top [???]   !pb 24h   S0 S2 GTI   S1  S2  GTI   !ex   !lp

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Offline Inouva
Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 pm Post 
Why this change so suden....

The cargame GTR server is empty and now in the s2 server they dont allow any more gt1, only gt2...

perfect...........................................................................

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:28 pm Post 
Inouva, can changes also be not-sudden? :D

Since when do you care about GT1 anyway? I thought you liked the normal cars more?

I would love to do a complete split, also no GT2 on the S2 server or GT3 replacing GT2... But... I think that change would be too sudden :lol:

Anyway, I monitored the situation for some weeks and there are -a lot- of GT2 racers and just a few, or sometimes no, GT1 racers.

The GT1 class has been removed before btw, but that was before GT2 got so popular. I just want to try again to create a little more balance. More and more people get access to the fastest classes now and that gives problems. When you drive in the lower class cars you almost have no time to react on blue flag situations. There are also people who think they own the road and crash of everybody because it's a blue flag situation. While a blue flag literally is this;

Generally it is accepted that you hold your line and make no sudden or defensive moves, allowing the faster car to overtake you.

The speed differences are just too big. Some months ago we started with just a few in GTx class but like I said, the GTx class is starting to dominate the main server and that is not a good thing for all other classes and also not for the GTx class itself.

Offline Inouva
Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:25 am Post 
I like the idea of only gt2 in the s2 server

Still, the wreekes are the same, ppl with the gt2 are doing the same thing , they push to pass and no respect others...., specialy in short tracks like so sprint or so chicane route or blackwood and not to mention in fe gold...

My idea was remove all gtr ( xfr - ufr - xrr - xr2 - fzr - fz2 - fxr - fxr2 ) From the s2 server, allowing only road cars

That why i suggest you a long time ago, do a server ( in this case GTR server ) with all the gtrs from gt3 to gt1 with the OW as a prototype class with restriction too add some categories.

I like the way the server is going, but still the lack of control over the faster cars in the maneuver of overtake the slow ones is rubbish

And plz dave, there is other things to discuss, ppl is getting tired of the voting system in two ways, first ppl tends to pick up the same track over and over and over, today ppl choose 3 times ky1 and 3 times bl...

Also other small thing, about the vote system, do it when the track count say 5/5 and the timer say 30 secconds, vote in the "Lobby track rotation" make ppl disconect and we lose time when they try to re-conect to the server, the other day we were there for 10 minutes.......... and no, there wasnt any admin there to fix the situation.

And other stuff, is the weather ,now whould be perfect to set random wheater for each track rotation, giving to the server and the track other "feel of inmersion".

That all, thx and regards

Offline Litro
Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:32 am Post 
K9001 wrote:
Still, the wreekes are the same, ppl with the gt2 are doing the same thing , they push to pass and no respect others....

Maybe it also depends on the ppl who don't respect faster cars...(On info there is written - Never block cars driving in a faster class. They are NOT your competitor!

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:51 pm Post 
K9001 wrote:
first ppl tends to pick up the same track over and over and over, today ppl choose 3 times ky1 and 3 times bl...

Yes I know of that problem, need to make the rotate dynamically that tracks which have been voted earlier in the last 24... Or 36 hours (don't know yet) cannot be voted for again. I also want it not to be possible to vote for same environment after a rotate ends. (So, no KY -> KY or AS -> AS)

About weather conditions, that can also take part of a complex rotate string to make it random.

Litro wrote:
Never block cars driving in a faster class. They are NOT your competitor!

Thats my own text yes. But it's not there because of blue flag situations.. Need to alter that hhmm :[

Offline DC81
Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:11 pm Post 
Hi! As some of you might know, I'm a big fan of the s2 server - it usually provides great racing!
I have to admit, I feel a little sorry, that my first post here has to be a complaint...so therefore I would like to start with a compliment - your servers, especially the s2 server has to be the best server on LFS at this point in time. And the s2 server has been my favourite for quite some time now.
Usually I'm a big fan of inovation and progress, just this time I have to oppose - up to about a week ago or so the server was fantastic - gtr's available and no voting system on the tracks.
But now it is all a little different - all I ever see is BL1, AS2, KY1 and AS3 - might be unlucky timing on my part, or it might be the result of the voting process. As I have seen in an above posting it seems that you guys are allready working on a solution, so thats great to read.

The second point is with the GTR's or rather the lack of them now. So they are to fast, therefore they have been removed, but the GT2's remain.
If one looks at the problem we have to sides - experienced racers in fast and tricky cars (GTR's) and inexperienced racers in easy cars (e.g. fxo's)...of course not all people in fxo's or whatever else are inexperienced - I am aware of that - but at least we can agree on the fact, that these cars are the ones available to the inexperienced. So it has been decided, that one party has to be removed in order to generate safer racing - this being the GTR's is rather unfortunate I have to admit...as I think that the experienced racers make up the core users of the server, whereas the inexperienced will act in two ways - get frustrated and leave after a short period of time or gain experience and become safe and fast racers themselves. I myself have always considered the really fast cars a motivator - when my points werent sufficient I raced to gain points and safety rating to race the fastest and trickiest cars available - then of course to practice and master them (or maybe keep them on the road ;) ). Removing this class (6, GTR's) is the wrong direction, punishing the experienced core racers and not targeting the initial problem - lack of experience and overview by a few inexperienced racers. I might be making myself hugely unpopular now, but still, here goes: consider having a minmum experience level for racers - this would lead to an even better and cleaner server imho. And then again, take a look at the various classes causing problems - again, imho, these are the cars easiest to drive - fxo's. (please dont get me wrong - every car has its own challenges and driving a fxo on its very limit requires a lot of skill and practice, but simply being able to keep it on the road doesnt). maybe one should initiate some sort of probation period for new racers to the server - if they are good to go, great, if not, well then they require more practice - somewhere else.
and now I would like to move on to the gt2 class - they are fun to drive but rather easy - they dont require much time to be moved at a decent speed - with suspension, tyres and downforce all targeted at a much more powerfull engine - I would rather consider the idea of skipping this class and leaving the gtr's. If you can keep them (GTR) on the road for several laps and have the required experience, points and safety rating you will probably also be able to navigate you way trough traffic in a safe way - and this very traffic makes up a good part of the fun and games - often battles are decided who can make his way trough traffic quicker - and quicker usually means safer - and safer means having both experienced racers in the fast cars AND in the slow cars. just look at the 24hrs of le mans or the 24hrs of the Nurburgring (+700bhp professionals vs ~100bhp amateurs on the nordschleife!!!)
a gt2 can be controlled rather easily and requires little practice whereas a gtr requires quite a lot of practice and skill - what I'm trying to say is that the ones willing to put in the time and effort to practice with the gtr's will turn out to be good and fast racers, whereas the ones that dont invest the time needed will get frustrated rather quickly, moving away from that class to a more easy class.
so the core question has to be quality vs quantity. and yes, I am aware of the ironhorse-racing, having spent a long stint on their servers.

in short, dont punish the fast and experienced guys but rather inspire the slow and or inexperienced racers to up their skills - skills they can hopefully witness on the s2 server.

Offline Dino
Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 pm Post 
S2 server: 20 ppl driving 12 GT2 and 5 smallGT, 2 lx4/TBo
LFSex 350+ mostly, lots of competitive teams members, while on S1, mostly newbies, MRT seems to atract experienced ppl (is it newbie restricted? It better be ;) ) LFSex bellow 350

S1 server: 14 ppl 4 MRTs, others TBo

I hate those MRTs, they dont fit with TBo well, too fast in corners (they cant ram nobody tought), and slow on straights, and if they dont "get away" in lap 1, their gonna be devoured by "big guns" driven by newbies =)

The bad part of this would be lack of experienced drivers in lower classes, but to be honest, TBO class is nothing but a (points) gold mine when populated, on tracks where lx4 doesnt fit in, in SO and FE, (points) gold rush of 2,3,4 :lol:

Entirely true what DC81 says, during the day TBO and low classes are decently represented, but when kids go to bed its 90% GTx server

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:31 am Post 
Well...

It's just a difficult process at the moment...

DC81 wrote:
or it might be the result of the voting process. As I have seen in an above posting it seems that you guys are allready working on a solution, so thats great to read.

voting was a little more complicated then expected but it's OK I guess, now.

- You can't vote for same environment anymore (so AS -> AS, KY -> KY is not possible)
- Tracks which have been raced in the last 12 hours are also left out
- Night and day rotate. Small tracks at night. No small tracks during the day (Europe time pattern).

DC81 wrote:
in short, dont punish the fast and experienced guys

I don't see this as punishment. Historically speaking a split up is the best situation you can create. (talking about the CTRA era here).

The speed and grip differences are just way too big. In fact it's an advantage for every enthusiastic GTR racer to be able to participate in a server where competition is close. Some give the argument; "well we can't overtake TBO anymore... We loose all the fun!" ... It's no fun to overtake TBO, it doesn't require much skills to do that.

Therefore I will try to force a further split up by making the GT2 a GT3 class on the S2 server.

It will be better for all, really! :hug:

DC81 wrote:
just look at the 24hrs of le mans or the 24hrs of the Nurburgring (+700bhp professionals vs ~100bhp amateurs on the nordschleife!!!)

Nordschleife is very long, a lot of racers can race there at the same time without having very close racing. Two classes, high powered and low powered is not bad but we talk here about six five classes here! Also, I doubt that I can take part of Le Mans in my 150bhp diesel as amateur. So how amateur is amateur?

On LFS there are amateurs. Kids aged 14, driving like crap or very good... Adults 30, 40, 50... 60... Driving very good or ... Like crap... Its a very complex situation.. Even if everybody would drive the same car.

---
When we just started this server the GTR class was unreachable for most. Even UFR/XFR usage was low... Everybody was happy...

Have to create less differences and less focus on one server. S2 is too popular, especially the GT2 class right now. And every GTR racer... And I mean -EVERYBODY- ... Still goes to the S2 server, because everyone is there. Some need to start to move, it's really pathetic :lol:

Because GTR drivers have the most experience with the server, are the most loyal... It's easiest to move that group. Also I have a naming problem... LFS works on server names (sadly) ... Otherwise I just renamed S2 to GTR and scrapped all other car options and started a fresh server for TBO, LRF and FWD GTR.

Offline Skagen
Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 pm Post 
Quote:
Still goes to the S2 server, because everyone is there. Some need to start to move, it's really pathetic

Switch the GT2s on the S2 server to GT3s, and I'm sure "everybody", or atleast most of the GT2-drivers, soon will be racing on the GTR server instead. :)
And off course, you probably have to announce the move very clearly on the S2 server for people to take notice.

Offline Rob
Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:51 pm Post 
I'd welcome to remove all GTRs from the S2 Server. When racing with LFR class and the baby GTRs there's another problem: LRF are faster on the straight, baby GTRs in the corners. This can be even more annoying than GT1s. Especially at the start. I don't think GTRs and road cars should be in the same race.

The point is, grip levels should be not all that different with cars in one race. Different speeds then aren't that much of a problem. Mixing both causes headaches.

Why not divide it by the three main classes: OW, GTR and stock cars. Mixing any of these classes is a bad idea IMO.

Adding GT3 (what's that? more intake restriction?) to S2 would be much worse, since they would be much slower on a straight than say a FZ50. T1 would be a nightmare...

Quote:
and started a fresh server for TBO, LRF and FWD GTR.

please don't. Not the baby GTRs. They don't mix well with road cars and the asshole/good driver ratio is pretty high. How often do I get annoyed by a baby GTR who can't even drive fast enough to get away from a FZ50...

Offline Litro
Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:54 pm Post 
What is baby GTR ? GT2;GT3 ?

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:34 pm Post 
No, baby GTR = NGT (UFR/XFR)

But we are in a split phase now anyway... At a certain point the GTR server even took over the lead of the S2 server. Interesting developments.

This is actual the perfect split of racers I personally would like to see...

GTR:20, S2:20 and S1:10 ...

---
I decided not to get rid of GT2 in the S2 server and replace it with GT3 but instead you cannot drive GT2 anymore when it's too busy... When 38 or more connections are active for about 5 minutes it's not possible anymore to drive GT2 until it drops under 38 again (for 5 minutes or more).

People who drive GT2 at the moment the "GT2 garage" closes can still continue driving though (until track change, pit or spec).

The reason is that I don't want to penalize the night shift of racers by not being able to race GT2 on the S2 server.

Offline Speedy J
Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:29 am Post 
If yesterday night was an example of how the servers will be crowded in the future your philosophy is working Dave :thumb:

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:32 pm Post 
Hmm first watch the long time effects of it... I don't trust it :duh: :wink:

[ 14 posts ]