agenda   !top [???]   !pb 24h   S0 S2 GTI   S1  S2  GTI   !ex   !lp

Page 1 of 1  [ 26 posts ]
Offline ossu50
Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:58 pm Post 
Hello!

Yesterday I was thinking that maybe adding a mandatory pit stop to the S2 server and maybe also to the S1 server would be fun. Races are quite long on some tracks and mandatory pit stop would spice things up. Definitely there has to be a pit stop window, for example you cannot pit on the first and on the last lap.

What do you think?

KILU

NB! I didn't search the forum if there was a same idea posted! If there is, I'm sorry for wasting your time!

Offline tRoopeR
Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:18 pm Post 
I think pit stops are meaningful only for 20min+ races. Just think that in a 6 lap race, you will have only 3 laps of pure racing (starting/final line @ full speed), because the first one, the one before and the one after the pit stop are messed.

Offline ossu50
Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:34 pm Post 
Every lap is pure racing. Your statement means that starting the race isn't racing, nor is finishing the race. You wanted to say, I think, that when there's pit stop, you only have 3 "free" laps where you could set a time. Once again, mandatory pit stop would add some spice to the server.

Offline tRoopeR
Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:08 pm Post 
Yes that's exactly what I meant. Dunno, still sounds too much but it could work, who knows. Pit stop strategy is intriguing for sure.

Offline Nick7
Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:31 pm Post 
Well, pit stop is a bit 'meh' with average of 10min per race.
Maybe again some event with double laps + required pit stop?

Offline ossu50
Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:44 pm Post 
There are sometimes quite large gaps between same class drivers even in those 10 min races. Pit stop would give a chance if there was some kinda spin at the start or so, for example. Also, having mandatory pit stops would help and prepare drivers for some other big events in some other servers also.

Offline tRoopeR
Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:09 pm Post 
Nick7 wrote:
Well, pit stop is a bit 'meh' with average of 10min per race.
Maybe again some event with double laps + required pit stop?

Yes (it sounds good) but then you approach the endurance concept, which, IIRC, has been rejected.

Offline peter_heijnen
Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 am Post 
ossu50 wrote:
Races are quite long on some tracks.......
......What do you think?

I think races are not long at all.

Offline jubei
Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:45 pm Post 
Quote:
Yesterday I was thinking that maybe adding a mandatory pit stop to the S2 server and maybe also to the S1 server would be fun. Races are quite long on some tracks and mandatory pit stop would spice things up. Definitely there has to be a pit stop window, for example you cannot pit on the first and on the last lap.

What do you think?

I think that mandatory pit stop will cause even more crashes, interclass incidents and mix-ups.
Imagine, for example, South City Chicane Route (9 laps race) - 5th lap, NGT driver makes a pit stop and being overtaken by LX6 drivers that didn't already make a pit stop. Then for the rest of the race the NGT driver likely will be stuck behind that LX6s. And I'm even not talking about pit lane exit on this SO6 track and how this place would look like if there will be mass pit stops. :D
No, no, no.

Offline Rolly
Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:46 pm Post 
its never going to happen...... not enough laps :thumb_d:

Offline Nicce
Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm Post 
jubei wrote:
pit lane exit on this SO6 track and how this place would look like if there will be mass pit stops.

Rolly wrote:
not enough laps

this.

Offline Ulmo
Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:10 pm Post 
i cant imagine 40+ dumb racers trying to enter full speed on most of pitlane :woop:

Offline OTone
Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:34 am Post 
The only one possible scenario with pit-stops is when FBM day takes place (only if the races would last like 10/15 laps, minimum). Otherwise I don't see that happening because - first of all - even on a 7 or 8 lap race having a mandatory pit stop just don't make any sense; the race would be an absolute mess with all the different cars (from ufb to GT2) mixed up during the pit-stops, just like jubei said - spot on - spoiling all the fun we all already have. Secondly, most rookie people wouldn't even going to care about doing that.

Offline CaptainSlowmo
Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 am Post 
tRoopeR wrote:
Yes (it sounds good) but then you approach the endurance concept, which, IIRC, has been rejected.

Do you remember why the idea of endurance races were rejected? I'd love to be able to drive longer races and do pit stops.

Offline Speedy J
Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:23 am Post 
I want a pacecar and yellowflag/greenflag situations :honger:

Offline ossu50
Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:43 am Post 
DRS and KERS also, please!

Offline tRoopeR
Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:40 am Post 
Do you remember why the idea of endurance races were rejected? I'd love to be able to drive longer races and do pit stops.

No, but you can find the relative topic, I think in the "feedback" forum.

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:32 pm Post 
ossu50 wrote:
DRS and KERS also, please!

Never understood why these toys got invented.

Look, we have nitro boost! But we decide when you may use it.

It's weird.

It never got rejected...

We had it before for a couple of times (I think, two or three times)... But eehhh.. LFS community is based on rhythm. Thats what I've learned.

You cannot suddenly change something without logical patterns behind it.

A pitstop for the normal race length is out of the question though. Like said by others, races are to short for that and the chaos too big. Main problem is for example XFG on AS6. Only 3 laps to do there, GT2 making the 4 lap race suddenly one with 3. I foresee easy DQ's because people don't realize they have to make a pitstop on time.

Then we also have the problem with midjoiners. And no, I am not going to disable midjoining. It would kill the servers.

Offline iago fontes
Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 pm Post 
I agree with Dave, if you put mandatory pit will be necessary to disable connections during the race (which will weaken the server), but in my opinion the mandatory pit would be nice days there is only a category running, type Saturday with STD 's or FBM sunday, but it would have to be well studied, is that the LFS provides support for setting punishments to those who did not make the mandatory pit? or limit the amount of fuel to make the pit stop indispensable?

Finally there could be a test to see if will work, but only on event days.

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:32 pm Post 
is that the LFS provides support for setting punishments to those who did not make the mandatory pit?

If you forget to make a mandatory pitstop your race will be disqualified completely.

I don't think some are going to like that.

So, all these changes could sound funny but always have to look to the bigger picture :roll:

Offline BlueEyedDevil
Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:09 am Post 
on gt2 sunday you can try it out?
i like the idea off pitstops

Offline ossu50
Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:37 pm Post 

I agree, mandatory pit stop might work during events.

Offline MorX
Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm Post 
I'm in!!!

/me wants pit stops!

Offline Senninha25
Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:27 pm Post 
I'm also in. But you guys should also have more days with double the number of laps! Endurance race days like Le Mans 24h, Sebring 12h, Nurburgring 24h, Spa 24h, Daytona 24h, etc., hell, even Aston 24h!!! = Double-lap days on cg.nl. Just saying!

Offline MorX
Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:38 pm Post 
Laps increased by 2 or 3 should be a fair enough excuse to have pit-stops i guess.
For some people, those 2 laps on softer tires would worth a pit-stop for a change gaining some time from the following car.

Offline jubei
Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:34 am Post 
Pit stops on the Kyoto North custom track would be "interesting". 8)

[ 26 posts ]