agenda   !top [???]   !pb 24h   S0 S2 GTI   S1  S2  GTI   !ex   !lp

Page 1 of 3  [ 140 posts ]
Offline Squelch
Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am Post 
Hi guys

It seems that some GT2 drivers want to win at all costs. This means driving through (literally) slower classes before the race ends. When we (slower cars) get a blue flag, we will let you pass at the first opportunity. This does not mean we will jump out of the way mid corner however. GT2 cars enjoy a level of grip and speed that the lower classes do not have. This means that some corners require full commitment and lines which may block your progress momentarily. You might have the ability to change direction easily that we simply don't have. I appreciate you have your own race to win, but please consider that others are racing too. Last night I was enjoying a TBO battle at Blackwood when we were caught at the last corner complex by the lead GT2's. I think all of the cars in my group were hit or punted off by the leaders, and this is simply selfish in my opinion. A clean pass could have easily been made on the next straight without incident.

GT2 drivers, please consider that slower cars might be having their own race, and are not just there to get in your way. The least you could do is apologise.

I leave a link to the race, and let you decide the guilty parties. Index 6:10
http://www.cargame.nl/dl.php?id=336165

Offline Nick7
Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 am Post 
I agree... but, often lapped ones make silly mistakes too - close small gap that is enough to pass the car, and more often even worse - see GT2 incoming and they move to 'avoid' or 'give space', which in most cases results in crash as faster driver already found space to pass, which just got closed.
I hit quite a few people this way as they try to 'make way'.

Blueflagged just need to keep their line, and if possible give some space to pass them.

Offline Litro
Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 am Post 
Yeah, deutsch guys were on the run yesterday. :nah:

Offline sermilan
Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 am Post 
This is a part of a never ending discussion between two different classes. When they meet in the corner, it's inevitable that for one of them the race will be ruined. It's either yours if you move away or his if he has to wait and get caught by the guys he so hardly tried to escape through the previous laps. We've had a similar discussion in this topic

What drivers from lower classes usually ask from us is to "wait" until they safely go through the corner and then make the pass. This is equally unacceptable as demands of higher class drivers for other classes to move away of the racing line as soon as they see the blue flag.

If you see the blue flag warning, that means you are being lapped. However, it doesn't mean you should move away from racing line asap... but it also doesn't mean you can take all of your time through the racing line while the GT driver patiently waits behind (when blue flag warning would not have any sense, because the lapping car than waits and lapped car takes no effort).

To be honest, in the case you presented I hold you responsible for the incident. You've clearly seen the blue flag, you've clearly seen him coming, you've opened the door on the inside and then just shut it by taking the racing line through it.
What should be done in this case is both drivers taking compromises. You should've left a bit more room for H.Arnold on the inside of the corner and not just cutting him off. After all, he has the car that is lapping yours, you must not neglect that and just take the racing line as it is all yours. Would you cut off like that if it was a car from your class or you would leave him room on the inside to avoid accident? The lapping car has even more right to that than the one from your class :wink: .

EDIT:
To understand better guys from GT class, please watch this replay http://www.cargame.nl/dl.php?id=336182 and pay attention to my last lap, end of 1st sector. Look how I loose all the advantage that I had to fadeaway just because XFG didn't leave me any space there.
I've seen him going a bit wider there, then decided to take the inside of the corner to safely pass him there, but he then closes the door, as he takes the racing line with complete disregards to the blue flag warning and that usually leads to a crash.

You just can NOT ask of GT drivers to wait behind you until you take aaaaaalllllll of your time to go through a corner on the racing line. Just give a little space through it and we'll pass safely, that's all :wink:

Here's an example :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEphzTysgzg

Offline Tooth
Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:07 am Post 
I have personally had many moments, as Nick described above. But each time I pass a lower class, im ready for such an eventuality. Always got a foot on brake, just in case. I have lost MANY victory's or podiums, just because i've been sitting behind lower class racers, trying to get by, and see my (GT2) contestants screaming by like they have an empty track. As I explained before I have taken those people out aswell, for not slowing if slow traffic ahead :) :oops:

Offline Litro
Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:17 am Post 
One race after or before, I took out one RB4 too. :oops:
Edit: Checked replays and in this Squelch replay turn before, that RB4 hit me a bit.
Next race http://www.cargame.nl/dl.php?id=336166 (5:30time) I hit him out of control(damn looks like revenge now :lol: )
P.S. (2:16time) i did Button/Hamilton maneuver with Arnold :D :D

Offline Squelch
Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:36 am Post 
I saw the blue flag as I committed to the corner. I kept my line in the expectation he would slingshot around me. I was prepared to compromise the inside line at the next apex and the pass would have been made. The same goes for the guys behind, they would have had a clean pass too.

As I said, that corner requires commitment, and any sudden change of line or speed will unsettle a road class car. For me to have compromised my line to let him pass would have meant me slowing right down to take the wider line, this would have then meant I would cross the race line at the next apex at a much slower speed and potentially impeding the other drivers. I will accept some responsibility in that I mistimed his approach speed. In my defence however, I do not drive looking in my rear view mirror and concentrate on the apex instead. Yes I saw the blue flag and checked my mirror, but it was a very short time before the corner entry. I really believe I was doing the right thing in keeping to the race line and speed to make the least impact on the leaders race. And no I did not cut off anyone. Check the race line, I was dead on. If it was a same class driver that made that move, they would have gone off at that entry angle and speed even if they didn't hit me. I really don't see your argument here. I was T-Boned mid corner however you look at it.

It is much easier to read the language of the car ahead than it is to read the car behind through the mirror. Blue flag or not, it must be the responsibility of the following driver to make a clean pass. There was certainly no deliberate blocking that I could see. It wasn't just me that was hit during those corners though, nor were any apologies offered, and this is the reason for me bringing this up.

Offline sermilan
Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:03 am Post 
Squelch wrote:
For me to have compromised my line to let him pass would have meant me slowing right down to take the wider line, this would have then meant I would cross the race line at the next apex at a much slower speed and potentially impeding the other drivers.

But on the other hand you expect the driver who is at least a whole lap in front of you to do so? Is that the case?
Squelch wrote:
As I said, that corner requires commitment, and any sudden change of line or speed will unsettle a road class car.

So would the GT class car too :wink:

The point of my discussion here is not to put the blame on you, but to make you and other lower class drivers understand the point of view of a GT class driver too :wink: . You see, we also have our races, we're not just cruising around so we could "wait" for slower cars to go through a corner :) .
Squelch wrote:
If it was a same class driver that made that move, they would have gone off at that entry angle and speed even if they didn't hit me. I really don't see your argument here. I was T-Boned mid corner however you look at it.

Let me rephrase my question: if you had another RB4 attacking you on the inside with a certain overlap, would you leave him room
on the inside or just continue on the racing line as you did with H.Arnold?
Squelch wrote:
Blue flag or not, it must be the responsibility of the following driver to make a clean pass

It is, but don't make it harder for him by completely ignoring the blue flag warning :wink: . After all, blue flag warning is there for a reason, isn't it?

Have you seen the replay I posted above, from my car view? What would you do if you were in my place under same circumstances (having a lead in front of the guy who has the most WR's in FX2 class)?

Offline Squelch
Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:34 am Post 
sermilan wrote:
Let me rephrase my question: if you had another RB4 attacking you on the inside with a certain overlap, would you leave him room
on the inside or just continue on the racing line as you did with H.Arnold?

There was no overlap, if it was an RB4 making that move, it would have been in vain, there is no way a TBO class car could make that turn from that angle and that speed with the available grip. The differences in grip and acceleration need to be considered here. Which is better, a road class car slows significantly to let a faster grippier car through and potentially be in the way for the following cars, or the faster grippier car uses its grip advantage to slow and move around the slower car?
sermilan wrote:
Have you seen the replay I posted above, from my car view? What would you do if you were in my place under same circumstances (having a lead in front of the guy who has the most WR's in FX2 class)?

I watched the replay and would say it's difficult. The closing speed is so great, he really had nowhere to go. He did try to keep the tight line by the looks of things, and I would imagine he expected you to pass left. The next apex was yours for the taking if you had. In fact he even takes to the kerb to get out of your way. Try that in a road class car and see how much it upsets the car.

Edit: He was mid corner, and fighting grip when the blue flag comes out. It is less than 5 seconds before you are on top of him, and he's still in the corner. This problem is as much about the blue flag distance and closing speeds as anything. In my case it was only 7 seconds through a tight section. I saw Arnold on the inside of jh-racing and did not expect the late lunge up the inside. Look at it from jh's pov and see how fast Arnold comes past. We were at full tilt at the time, so really the GT2's should have had patience and followed us through.

As I said earlier, it is much easier to read the language of the car ahead than it is the car behind. Watch your replay again but from his internal view, and see if you can understand which way you want to pass. Remember that a road class car is really fighting for grip and balance in fast corners, so concentration is forward to make the line that keeps the car settled.

I fully appreciate that it is difficult to call which way drivers are going to go. For a road class car to change direction at speed, is probably more dangerous than a GT2. I do not suspect a road class driver will deliberately want to block a GT2 either. Perhaps GT2 class drivers should walk a few miles in the lower classes again just to understand how difficult it can be.

Edit: This is not about apportioning blame. It's about GT2 drivers having a little more patience and consideration for the slower classes. As pointed out, this topic is not exactly unique, and will probably run forever.

Offline sermilan
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am Post 
Squelch wrote:
There was no overlap...

If there wasn't, how come he hit you on the side?
@2 RBRs racing - disregard the speed, don't picture an RBR doing what H.Arnold did. Imagine this, you're having another RBR closing on you and, let's say, put his nose on the inside of that corner (both of you racing at normal RBR speed there). What would you do then? Would you give him room or would you just take the racing line?

Squelch wrote:
Remember that a road class car is really fighting for grip and balance in fast corners, so concentration is forward to make the line that keeps the car settled.

That is exactly what fadaway and me were commenting when the race finished (in Serbian, though).
Been through all classes before got to GT2, from XFG to XFR, but I don't recall any collision with GT2?

What I am saying is that slower cars MUST take in consideration the speed and the advantage faster cars have and react accordingly. There is an interesting topic on this forum "Rules for mid race join", where Jenk put youtube onboard videos. Just watch the reactions of slower cars when they meet GT3 Porsche. They all try to leave the inside line through the corners, sometimes it's difficult, but mostly successive. They don't just neglect them saying: "it's their responsibility to make the clean pass, I'll just take my racing line" :wink:

Nobody asks you to move off the racing line, just make a little room, please :wink:

Offline Litro
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:10 am Post 
Let's use more slow car class cars! :thumb: That's nice that GT2 drivers come back to XFG or other cars. (f)

Offline sermilan
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:12 am Post 
No tnx, worked too hard to get to GT2, don't want to get back :P

Offline Litro
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:15 am Post 
''It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.'' :P :lol:

Offline sermilan
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:17 am Post 
:lol: :thumb:

Offline Squelch
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:33 am Post 
sermilan wrote:
Squelch wrote:
There was no overlap...

If there wasn't, how come he hit you on the side?
@2 RBRs racing - disregard the speed, don't picture an RBR doing what H.Arnold did. Imagine this, you're having another RBR closing on you and, let's say, put his nose on the inside of that corner (both of you racing at normal RBR speed there). What would you do then? Would you give him room or would you just take the racing line?

I would allow him room of course because I had made a mistake and would concede the corner. In this case I did not make a mistake, not in positioning, nor in braking, and I certainly didn't expect a late move like that. I was hit in the side because Arnold was off line on the inside and much faster, not because he had any sort of overlap. As I said before, I fully intended to leave the next apex open for him.

You seem to missing the point about the closing speeds and grip. If that was a TBO class car, he would not have closed as quickly under normal circumstances. To do so would mean he didn't brake, kept the throttle on, and took a tight line. This would mean TBO class car would have ended up going very wide or hitting me. There would then have been a strong case for dive bombing. As I said in my edit, both me and jh-racing were going full speed for our class, and if he had kept his throttle on to make that move (the only possible way he could have) I would be complaining about him. It's all about expectations, and another TBO would not be expected make that move.

This isn't just about me. jh-racing was rammed from behind by FW-05 in the same incident, and Kiraya was clipped in the previous corner by Litro as he admits. In that case, he had moved right off line to let the leaders pass and still got hit. That whole section ended up a mess and the TBO class midfield race effectively ended. From my point of view, the leaders took some rather ambitious chances even when we were making accommodations.

EDIT:
sermilan wrote:
Nobody asks you to move off the racing line, just make a little room, please :wink:

I always do try to allow room, but it must also be considered some corners are harder than others. This can be witnessed in any real life multi class race too.

Offline sermilan
Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:18 pm Post 
Squelch wrote:
In this case I did not make a mistake, not in positioning, nor in braking...

I have to disagree with this. The thing I am trying to make you think about is exactly the one you blame me for missing the point about and that is: "...closing speeds and grip". That is exactly what you should take in consideration when you have the blue flag warning and not just assuming that he would wait for you to leave him room on the next corner.

H.Arnold didn't do anything I wouldn't do. He went for the door that was opened, head for the apex and if you left him just a bit room there, he would've passed you cleanly. Hi didn't misjudged his speed, he would've been exactly on the apex.

Just look at the youtube links from 24h Nordschlaife (hope I spelled it right :roll: ) and you'll see what I am talking about. It's not only the lapping car that is careful, but the lapped cars are too, even if they are busy with fighting each other and that is my main point here.

You can not leave all responsibility to the lapping car and just assume he should wait for you, but you too have to take caution as well :wink: and take in consideration his speed and grip.

This is my main point and really don't have anything more to say about it.
However, there are drivers that are less cautious in general, but they aren't only in GT class.

Offline Squelch
Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:10 pm Post 
sermilan wrote:
H.Arnold didn't do anything I wouldn't do. He went for the door that was opened, head for the apex and if you left him just a bit room there, he would've passed you cleanly. Hi didn't misjudged his speed, he would've been exactly on the apex.
He braked at 100 mph just after the drain cover/pit entry on the race line in every other lap. When he hit me, he was at 103 mph more than 10 metres later, and well inside the racing line. Regardless, his closing speed was far greater than I expected, and I maintain I did not leave the door open, cut in, block or do anything wrong.

If you expect me to disappear mid corner, then please re-evaluate your driving. I was going as fast I could and maintained my line. I will give room where it's safe to do so, but I will not jump out of the way just because you are faster. I treat slower drivers than myself with this respect, and take it fully upon myself to make a clean pass. I do expect the same consideration for myself and all other drivers.

Mistakes happen, that is the nature of racing. What upsets me the most with this incident - which is only a recent example and seems to happen all the time - is that GT2 drivers are not respecting slower cars racing their own race. Very often it ends with cars being pushed off the track. There was no acknowledgement or apology offered by any of the leaders for driving through the slower cars, and as you seem to be implying, the fault lies entirely with the slower cars. This simply is not the case, and perhaps you should try driving a slower class just to experience it. If you want to drive GTR all of the time, please use the GTR server. I'll be sure to join you there once I progress a bit more. (I made class 4 last night btw)

Offline eXeYn
Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:25 pm Post 
I agree with Sermilan on Arnold's part.
It's a good example of how difficult it is to use rear mirror properly. I, personally, hate it because it's damn hard driving your own slower car at the limit while keeping track of the speed and distance of the approaching car. In this case Arnold was too close so that IMHO you should have taken the outside line.

But your replay Sermilan is in my opinion completely your fault. He is like 4/5 through that corner staying on the raceline in that right turn. IMHO he had the right of the race line for it. I would have done the exact same thing and he could position himself for the outside of the next corner.

Offline Squelch
Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:46 pm Post 
eXeYn wrote:
It's a good example of how difficult it is to use rear mirror properly. I, personally, hate it because it's damn hard driving your own slower car at the limit while keeping track of the speed and distance of the approaching car. In this case Arnold was too close so that IMHO you should have taken the outside line.

I'll accept that might have been a mistake on my part, but as you say, it is hard to watch the mirror and keep on the limit at the same time. I looked when I got the blue flag, saw cars behind my immediate threat (jh-racing) judged I could make the next corner, checked mirror on entry to see Arnold on the inside of jh, but headed straight. I assumed from this he would pass behind me and to my right to take the next apex. I didn't expect him to close so fast and turn in to take the apex I was already committed to. If I had have changed direction or lifted at that point, I would most likely have spun. I really didn't expect him to try and go under me. As I said in my previous post, he was faster than usual and later on the brake as well as being off line. From my view at the time, he should have been slower for that entry angle. I misjudged it from my mirrors, but was I really to blame?

The leaders were as fast if not faster than previous laps in that section which kind of implies that slower traffic was not their concern.

EDIT:
By way of illustration, Panza who joined late in a FZR makes a very similar move at the same corner on Kiraya (index 9:20) He goes under Kiraya forcing him wide and onto the grass. I strongly believe this would have happened to me if I had have changed line for Arnold. Later on (index 10:35) Panza makes a pass at the same corner on Tahvakava but on the outside without drifting wide. The GT2's have so much more grip, they are able to go around the outside of that corner without too much sacrifice to speed or leaving the track.

Offline sermilan
Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:28 pm Post 
I clearly explained that it takes a caution from both drivers and now you are exaggerating:
Squelch wrote:
If you expect me to disappear mid corner, then please re-evaluate your driving. I was going as fast I could and maintained my line. I will give room where it's safe to do so, but I will not jump out of the way just because you are faster

This is completely unnecessary from you :thumb_d:
I clearly not said that but I said:
sermilan wrote:

so I see no point in you twisting my words :thumb_d: :thumb_d: :thumb_d: . Now I even think you should apologize for that.

EDIT:
Furthermore, you start with generalizing things:
Squelch wrote:
... GT2 drivers are not respecting slower cars racing their own race..

and that is equally bad :thumb_d: :thumb_d: :thumb_d:

Offline Squelch
Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:00 pm Post 
sermilan wrote:
I clearly explained that it takes a caution from both drivers and now you are exaggerating:

As I explained in my post, there did not appear to be any caution exercised by the lead pack when approaching slower traffic. They were just as fast as previous laps if not faster. When I received the blue flag, I checked my mirrors and they were some distance back, I checked again as I entered the corner, and still the leader had only just caught jh-racing. At this point I was fully committed to the corner, and I really didn't expect to be driven off the road.
sermilan wrote:
This is completely unnecessary from you :thumb_d:
I clearly not said that but I said:
I'm not twisting words. Your implication was that we slower drivers are impeding your race. In your example, you catch another driver as he is about to leave the corner, and somehow he is to blame? In the Blackwood incident we did nothing more than keep our lines as suggested. My intention was to let them pass at the next apex, and I'll fully defend my right to keep the racing line in such a corner.

Furthermore, there was no acknowledgement or apology for the collision in my case, and even a "not nice" comment from FW-05 but quite how that should be taken only he will know. This kind of attitude is what is so upsetting, and I'm sorry if you take offence while defending such actions, but someone has to voice their displeasure or else it will just continue. Who is better placed to judge a situation, the driver in front via his mirrors, or the driver behind, who coincidently has superior handling too?

sermilan wrote:
Furthermore, you start with generalizing things:
Maybe it is a generalisation, but on the evidence of that incident, 3 TBO cars were hit by 3 GT2 cars who made no attempt to slow in a complicated section with slower traffic. This is not the first time it has happened to me, and I've witnessed it countless times whilst spectating. Not all GT2 drivers are bad, and I hope that hasn't been interpreted from my posts. I merely ask that faster (and significantly faster at that) drivers should consider that road class cars do not enjoy the same handling as GT2 and cannot just move out of the way at a whim.

Offline fadeaway
Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:36 pm Post 
Litro wrote:
''It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.''

thats why we drive GTRs with restrictions ;-) :-P :lol:

Offline inuam
Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:46 am Post 
fadeaway wrote:
Litro wrote
''It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.''

thats why we drive GTRs with restrictions ;-) :-P :lol:

But fast cars go slow with restrictions :lol:

Offline gammelsokdk
Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:58 am Post 
I cant help tossing a little sand in the wheels here, Because I have noticed that allmost all GTR-drivers use traction control and abs brakes by the looks of things.

Not that they should'nt, But would be fun if they didnt have that on, fore a race or 2 :D

But the thing with a slower car to move a little in a turn can make things worse, Because he can spin out and take both fast cars with him. Then he will be called many strange words fore sure. Not that I am saying he should'nt give some room but some turn's it just cant be done.

/Sokken with no hard feelings or attacks to anyone :D

Offline TEaaron
Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:08 am Post 
I vote to remove GT2 from CargameS2 server and add UF1, keep them in GTR.

That or dedicate a server to TBO

Offline sermilan
Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:18 am Post 
But the thing with a slower car to move a little in a turn can make things worse, Because he can spin out and take both fast cars with him.

Not if he is careful. Same goes for GTRs.

TEaaron wrote:
I vote to remove GT2 from CargameS2 server and add UF1, keep them in GTR.

I vote to remove all GTRs from S2 and place them in GTR server only.

Offline fadeaway
Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:25 am Post 
have noticed that allmost all GTR-drivers use traction control and abs brakes by the looks of things.

GTRs don't have ABS brakes and traction control.. :wink: You probably meant on FZ5 which is road version of FZR that is GTR..

Offline Squelch
Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:32 am Post 
I cant help tossing a little sand in the wheels here, Because I have noticed that allmost all GTR-drivers use traction control and abs brakes by the looks of things.

This is the point I was trying to make, but somehow it got taken as some kind of attack.

The fact is GTx cars have far superior handling, and are able to change direction relatively easily. With the added restrictions, the GT2 cars are not travelling at their top speeds, and should be within their grip levels for most of the time. A road class car has poorer suspension, narrower less grippy tyres, and much less torque. This results in an inability to make any sudden changes in direction needed to clear the way for GT2's. Add to this that GT2 cars will close down a road class car in a very short time, and it leaves the road class driver little time to make any kind of move.

The typical time from blue flag to actually being overtaken is 5-8 seconds. Consider that it can take much longer than this to go around some corners in a road class car, and that full commitment with regards to speed and grip have probably been made, it is inevitable that road class cars will inadvertently block a GT2. It's all very well to say "leave a little room" but this is not always possible. Some, and certainly not all, GTx drivers seem to get impatient, and either sound their horns, send messages, and even drive the lower class car off the road. This seems to happen more when there is a tight battle for the lead, and could be a result of the red mist. This doesn't excuse poor manners when it come to other drivers however.

Consideration is needed from both drivers of course, but during a race, we become accustomed to the handling of our own car, and know the entry speeds and angles for the corner ahead. It is incredibly hard to then try and imagine how much grip the car behind might have unless they are in the same class. Some corners can be taken at full throttle in a GTx, and to attempt the same in a road class car at even half the speed would result in leaving the track. So the point is, the GTx drivers are in the privileged position of having options that the road class driver simply doesn't enjoy.

This thread was meant as a plea to GTx drivers to be a little more tolerant when negotiating slower traffic. It was not meant as an attack. We all want to go as fast as we possibly can, and we all want to set pb's. It is incumbent on all drivers to consider this simply isn't possible without a clear track.

Offline sermilan
Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:58 am Post 
Squelch, I've been through almost all cars climbing to GT2 license (except RAC, FZ5 and I rarely drove LXes) and I never had a problem that you keep going on and on about. I didn't have the problem simply because when ever I had a blue flag warning I was cautious of what was going on behind me and was calculating on where is the best place to let them pass. That always meant "good bye good lap time", but hey, that's the way it goes. I was in a lower class car and had the blue flag warning.

I really don't see the point of this whole topic you started. GTRs won't wait for you taking all of your time through a corner, because they too have their races.

Offline Squelch
Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:32 pm Post 
The whole point of a multi class server s that everyone is going to be racing their own class. It is part of race craft to negotiate slower traffic, and to allow faster cars by. There are bad drivers on both sides. Those that deliberately weave and block, and those that drive through a slower car.

This problem is very common, and I'd suggest you were very lucky to have not had any problems in the lower classes. Just last night I was spectating an excellent battle for the lead between 4 GT2's at Aston. They caught up with a TBO midway through the long esses after the first hairpin. Cars passed either side of the TBO at great speed, and I imagine he hardly had time to plan or react. One of the lead cars hit the rear end of the TBO spinning him out, but the leaders carried on. No apology was offered, not then nor after the race.

A GT2 is far more stable and has higher grip as we all know. If a GT2 hits a road class car, even gently, the GT2 will hardly flinch, but the road class will lose grip and spin in virtually all cases.

My feelings are that the lower classed drivers feel beholding to the higher classed drivers, and rarely complain. It is always good to see Class 5 and 6 drivers in TBO and LRF, and I'd appreciate their comments as experienced drivers about this. I don't believe for one moment this is not a problem, there are other threads about it too.

I wouldn't want to see GTx banned from the multi class server, but has it been considered, that adding weight to further handicap the GTx's and make it less likely that the leaders will end up lapping midfield cars towards the end of the race?

Offline fadeaway
Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:56 pm Post 
Never ending discussion all over again. There's been bunch of topics with this content and exactly same conclusion: GT2 class stays on S2 server.
Shit happens - get used to it, its a multi-class server. Cars with big speed difference meet in wrong place at wrong time = mess. Not the first time, it certainly won't be the last..
For example, few nights ago, i got screwed by XRT that lost control on entrance to oval on KY2r. He/she was mid-race joiner, last lap/last turn of race, launched me into wall and i lost first place. So what, i should now beg for TBOs to be careful when they are blueflaged, to spectate if they joined mid race, or even for TBO class to be removed from S2 server because they are on the way of faster classes? I don't think so - everybody wants to race on full server, and it wouldn't be full if something would change.
IMO what makes Cargame.nl S2 server so awesome is that big count of variables that affects on your final position - in every moment of race something can go wrong, and your win in class/race is not guarantied until you go over the finish line. No matter how fast you are, you have to fight for position whole race and also have a little luck. So stop complaining and start enjoying racing. :aai:

Offline sermilan
Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:43 pm Post 
Squelch wrote:
...you were very lucky to have not had any problems in the lower classes.

Again you're not listening.... No, I wasn't lucky, I was cautious, aware of them and willing to let them pass.

+1 for fade's whole comment with emphasis on this:
fadeaway wrote:
stop complaining and start enjoying racing
(f) :woop:

Offline [TDRT]K.Harvey
Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:58 pm Post 
Running GT2, you lap slower classes while racing people in your own class. NGT/LRF run over each other at the starts and often ends badly. TBO/STD can't run the whole race because of being lapped.

That creates a lot of variables that make races very unpredictable, but also a lot of complaints.

For smooth racing 5 classes are just too much. Putting LRF/TBO/STD on one server and GTR/GT2/NGT on another would probably result in better racing but maybe always the same winners.

Having around 8 cars in a class is ideal IMO so having only 20-25 racers on each servers would be fine. What would be nice is being able to merge chat from these 2 servers :huh:

So 1 server with more eventful racing or 2 servers with more clean (and maybe boring) racing, which is better I don't know.

Offline Speedy J
Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:27 pm Post 
What would be nice is being able to merge chat from these 2 servers

So people can type "idiot" to each other from server to server? :wink:

As I watch a lot of races,
- a whole lot of GT2's in their last laps when they start overlapping,
- almost all late joiners,

I can easily say that over 80% (and I think more) of passes are clean, where either overlapped cars or laping cars, or both, show they care about each other. The only really hard tracks are on SO, where there is tight tarmac and a lot of corners.

Also we tend to tell blue flag-neclectors how they should behave. Also we tell careless GT2-racers to be considerate. And we punish them if they don't change.

In general, it works fine and over the past 1,5 year it keeps improving. So my final statement would be: don't change anything about the server setup.

Offline Litro
Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:26 pm Post 
Hm, drove now with slow cars(TBO @ KY2R) and everything was fine. I just look on map on last laps more and calculate when GT2 are comming. :thumb: Select right place where to give room and everything is OK. :thumb:

Offline eXeYn
Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:24 pm Post 
To be clear on this topic, it's never only the lower classes who consequently suffer by giving space and thus resulting in lower lap times.

In GT2 I encounter multiple times a day a slower car which I would have hit at the apex therefore I release throttle earlier to get a good acceleration out of the corner. Or that I cannot reach the exit point thus costing me speed on the straight.

The only drawback for the slower cars is that they will feel a misjudgment. They have a crash with GT2 which naturally results worse for them than for GT2.

There is never a winner on multiclass with overlapping.

Otherwise I vote to ban slower classes on full server because that is a pain driving with LX4 against TBO. Hits are guaranteed and spins. But I suppose this suggestion won't find agreement :D .

Offline Nicce
Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:43 pm Post 
TBO/STD can't run the whole race because of being lapped.

depends of the phase u have and what track.. i can make full race with lx4 on longer tracks. and sometimes on SO4/r. run around 1-1,5% of wr times and ur fine and clear from lapping from the class5 cars.

but ye.. like Fadeaway allready stated: get used to it and its the way for multiclass servers.

Cargames is awsome on that part. ;)

Offline Litro
Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:06 pm Post 
And today again GT2 drivers came to XFG(because other incite to do it) and most of drivers were XFG(in front TBOs @ FE4). :thumb: :thumb: Fun XFG ride

Offline bunder
Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:12 am Post 
sermilan wrote:
I vote to remove all GTRs from S2 and place them in GTR server only.

or at least the gt1's... there's too much variance between the classes for them to be run at the same time. i know they turn off gt2 when the server gets full, but to me that seems backwards... imo, they should be turning off gt1 in that instance. not to mention, STD cars barely have a chance to see the blue flag before they get rammed up the behind from a gt1. :huh:

Offline Litro
Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:58 am Post 
bunder, GT1s are away already year or less. :D

Offline Squelch
Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:15 am Post 
bunder wrote:
STD cars barely have a chance to see the blue flag before they get rammed up the behind from a gt1. :huh:

It's not just blue flag situations either. I was hit from behind whilst entering the chicane that leaves the oval in Kyoto. I'm driving an XFR, and at first thought the driver who rammed me was the guy I'd been racing (another XFR) It was in fact a GT2 who had rejoined and caught us up, there was absolutely no warning whatsoever, and he had the throttle on when he hit me in the braking zone. He did apologise to his credit however. In the same race another driver was driven through at the last chicane by the 4th place man. The 4th place guy not only tagged the poor guy midway through, but also kept full throttle to make sure the job was done. GT2's are so well planted, this sort of thing hardly makes them flinch, but the poor XFG was sent spinning out. Despite the XFG protesting, no apology was offered. Later I was fishtailed driving an LX6 by an XFR who kept the throttle on to make sure the job was done too. Spinning LX's seems to be a sport enjoyed by some of the supposedly top drivers. I won't name names for fear of making even more enemies for speaking up.

I hope the the throttle/brake positions and relative speeds will soon be taken into consideration during collisions. We have them available now, and it's just a matter of them being implemented in AIRIO. I really think that a strong penalty for safety and experience should be automatically applied for such cynical moves. Admins can't be everywhere at once, and it takes some analysis of the replays to determine exactly what happened in many cases.

Offline monokult
Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:37 pm Post 
i post a report of a crasher and nothing will happen i dont know why. ever worse with this driver.
reports-f8/report-bidule-supermax-t5105.html

Offline Litro
Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:45 pm Post 
We gave a warnings to him, monokult. Mid-race-joined and let pass others very well. Haven't see him doing anything like this anymore.

Offline monokult
Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:00 pm Post 
ok nice, thank you
why no one writes this in the thread?

Offline Tooth
Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:22 pm Post 
monokult wrote:
why no one writes this in the thread?

Because we normally dont want to cause a fuzz about stuff like that. We look at the replay, swing banhammer if neccesary and live on :)

Offline Litro
Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:51 pm Post 
Were quite lazy in summer, but it doesn't mean we don't do anything in servers. :thumb:

Offline Squelch
Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 pm Post 
Litro wrote:
Were quite lazy in summer, but it doesn't mean we don't do anything in servers. :thumb:

Oh yes, the recent changes are looking good. I've only been here a short while, but already it seems onwards and upwards.

Offline eXeYn
Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:15 pm Post 
eXeYn wrote:
Otherwise I vote to ban slower classes on full server

This is not meant as a joke!

37< connections and ban TBO XFG/XRG. They can easily move to the S1 server which is often half full which would make the server full. I really don't see the point of banning a car which is only available with S2 when there is a server where the slower cars can drive with a lot of other drivers.

Offline sermilan
Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:50 pm Post 
Your post has sense :wink: Mr. eXeYn, I vote for that one too :thumb:

Waiting to see what kind of complains will Sir Squelch launch now... :roll:

Offline Squelch
Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm Post 
sermilan wrote:
Waiting to see what kind of complains will Sir Squelch launch now... :roll:

There's no need for that.

All I ever asked for was GT2 drivers to respect others. Why is this such a problem?

Some reading

[ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next