agenda   !top [???]   !pb 24h   S0 S2 GTI   S1  S2  GTI   !ex   !lp

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Offline Joe [FRA]
Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:30 am Post 
Hi,

Over the last 3 weeks, I had a strange bug on my Windows 7 (64bit) PC, that ended in the wall (hopefully) most of the time, and one time in a racer :oops:

If someone got a clue about the fix, I'll be very happy to discuss about it...

What happen is, during the race (at anytime), step-by-step :

1- I'm driving (obviously very fast :lol: ) for 1-2 or more races without any trouble
2- My screen becomes black during 2 seconds, but I can still hear the engine
3- LFS window disappears, and I'm back on my desktop
4- When I click on the LFS icon (menu bar), window comes back, and my car is "somewhere", completely wrecked :cry:

Prior to the trouble happens, I heard the hard drive working... so I assumed that a (f****ing) update was in progress.

As I had some updates pending (Acrobat Reader, Windows, Java), I've done them, but the problem is still there.

My antivirus is Avast, but Yesterday, I've been very surprised to see a McAfee windows proposing me to perform a test : this wasn't an ad window, but the software has been installed without my permission :duh:

I removed it (through the control panel, in a "clean" way)... I hope my trouble was the consequence of a conflict between my 2 antivirus... but I have to test, and as it happens "when it happens", but only once an evening, it could be a bit long to validate the "fix".

So I just wanted to say :

- Sorry in advance if the problem occures again in the future
- If someone has already met this trouble, and found the fix, please feel free to share it with me :respect:

Thanks, and good race,

Joe

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:54 am Post 
Joe [FRA] wrote:
and found the fix,

:yes:

Deinstall antivirus programs, start using a decent Internet browser, don't execute strange programs and your done.

Offline mike259
Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:32 am Post 
Joe [FRA] wrote:
Acrobat Reader, Windows, Java

they update rarely and don't bring the window in front so I can only assume that the issue is that rubbish excuse of a program called Avast, if u want to keep in the Microsoft family u can put MSE witch is also free or Nod 32 which is good but it's paid and before change any ativir prog uninstall those already installed ! If the problem persists check the video card or video card's driver.

Offline Joe [FRA]
Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:00 am Post 
Thanks for you quick replies :thumb:

I didn't install any strange program, as I want to keep my PC efficient for playing LFS (which is the only use of this pc :lol: ), but during Java update, it tried to install lot of browser toolbar and so on...

With avast, I faced some troubles with XP, but since I'm using 7, I had no problem (meaning update made LFS extremely slow with XP).

I'm using this new pc with avast since december 2010, and troubles started only 3 weeks ago, and never more than once per evening (that's why I assumed it was "update download" related).

If when LFS windows is reduced, I could see some other Window, I'd understand the problem but here...

Next time I'll have this problem, I'll suspend avast when playing, for several days, and see what happen.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Joe

Offline mike259
Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 am Post 
I still recommend that u get rid of Avast, it's really bad.

Offline Joe [FRA]
Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:55 am Post 
Why ?
Working in the security area, I always heard that it's pretty good... but if it has problems with LFS, I'll remove it :lol:

Offline mike259
Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:18 pm Post 
I just say that I don't recommend it bcz there are better options that I mentioned in previous posts, if u want to keep it it's no problem.

Offline Tooth
Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:03 pm Post 
Using ESET NOD32. Working quite good. You should get one :)

Offline sermilan
Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:31 pm Post 
Don't know if Win7 has the CTRL+ALT+Delete options window? If it does, it would help you to find LFS.exe in "Processes" window and give it a "high" priority with the right mouse click. I always use this while playing and had improved LFS behavior since.

Also, Advanced System Care is a program I would recommend for general computer health.

Offline Joe [FRA]
Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:47 pm Post 
Hi,

A quick word to say that this trouble totally disappeared :thumb:

Seems to be the McAfee shareware that wanted to force some activities...

Race you soon :honger:

Joe

[ 10 posts ]