agenda   !top [???]   !pb 24h   S0 S2 GTI   S1  S2  GTI   !ex   !lp

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Offline delta s4
Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:22 pm Post 
i think that GTI's mixed with the fast cars doesnt work that good, in some tracks is impossible to drive 2 laps clean without catching them, which in my point of view it kind messes with the race.
in SO tracks, which the track isnt that wide, or doesnt have many straights, it really gets annoying catching GTI's there. i think GTI's in a S2 server doesnt make much sense to me.

Offline tRoopeR
Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 pm Post 
I was going to write the same (almost) post tonight.

Road cars with race cars together mess a bit the race. For example the FZ5 is fast on straights, but the XFR/UFR is very faster in turns. That can lead to dangerous moves by both, and slows down the faster class. I have ,lets say, an FZ5 behind me (XFR), it catches up just before the turn, and instead of staying back it dives with me in the corner, and we are likely to crash. The same goes for FXO-with-UFB etc.

Here is a replay of what I'm trying to say. Forgive the shitty driving, I didn't know the course very well, and also I left at second lap but watch the first lap. Not saying anything against the FZ5 guy but I was driving very carefully not to touch him and slowed down a lot. Eventually I made a move but I touched.

http://www.cargame.nl/dl.php?id=353235

and this has happened many many times with lx's and FZ5's (and FXO-RB4-GTI when I was UFB)

PS. Don't misunderstand me, multiclass is great but the road-race car mix is what I am doubting.

Offline Dave
Site Admin
Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:00 am Post 
Well...

I have to rethink everything.

I expected LFS popularity to drop after the holiday season.. But it somehow isn't. There are more people racing on CG, people coming from Iracing (some old, some new)... Racing through the EU night didn't happen for quite some months and now I sometimes find racers on the weirdest times.

I forgot to monitor how it is on other servers. Anyone?

A grid of 32 which such big diversity of cars for a long period of time isnt sustainable. I agree.

Offline dadoml
Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:51 am Post 
but its fun :D

Offline mike259
Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:27 am Post 
From a regular LRF driver I know the problem between NGT(XFR, UFR) and LRF(LX6, FZ5, RAC) at the start and first lap, I can't say I didn't cause any crashes when I was caught up by them but many times I did took a wider/tighter line or even slow down to let them past but I have sen many low-experienced drivers in FZ5 causing a lot of crashes(redbullat is one o them). A solution like moving them back behind TBO or to leave 2 grid lines between NGT and LRF doesn't work.

On Aston it can be funny sometimes bcz LX6 with a rocket start can go to first place, it has happened.

Offline Speedy J
Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:26 am Post 
About the first two posts:

What you are saying is that the different classes do not mix together because it makes it hard to race / pass clean when you overlap in a faster car or when you are overlapped by a faster car.

That's true.

But... that's the whole purpose of multiclass racing. And the S2 server is ... a multiclass server!!

In my opinion the crashes and bad passes for 99% are not caused by the fact it is multiclass, but they are caused by people who don't know the rules, don't know what to do at blue flag (both lapped and lapping car!) or just don't have respect for others.

Also GT2 is disabled on South City tracks and Fernbay tracks already.

Strangely enough lately 47 people want to be in one server, even if it means 15 people can't join the race.

There are other servers, for example our GTR server, which stays empty, because people rather stay in the multiclass server.

So change the multiclass server? Not my idea of a solution.

And in the end... of course, you like multiclass racing and adept, or you don't :)

Offline tRoopeR
Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:39 am Post 
Speedy of course the multiclass theme is really fun and I don't doubt that.
Also I didn't talk about overlapping (where the lower class has blue flag) but normal overtaking usually in the first lap, when after the first straights the classes are completely mixed up. Then the slower class has no blue flag and thus is not obligated to leave space (typically at least ). Mike gave a good example on Aston.

But ultimately I gotta agree, its the drivers causing the accidents and not the road-race car mix. Personally, I ALWAYS go to the side and give my position to the driver behind (even if he's in my class) before a turn, when I know I can't make it or I have no right to battle in it (blue flag, overheated tires, damaged car, generally slow/not know the course, slower class) and I think everyone could just do it.

Something like 2 grids (race in front, road at back) or a 2-3 second delay of the road car pack I think could eliminate this, and it wouldn't affect the road cars' race at all.

Just sayin', cargame rocks anyways :thumb:

Offline boothy
Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:06 pm Post 
Speedy J wrote:

There are other servers, for example our GTR server, which stays empty, because people rather stay in the multiclass server.

That's more due to the attraction of a full server, and the fact that GTRs are still available on the S2 server than anything else. We saw a few nights ago a server with STD@AS7R was more popular than cargame (almost 40 connections) - no nonsense, no restriction on LFSEI/SR, single class racing, albeit the combo is practice for a league starting soon, but it does show what can happen with popular server, it usually attracts more people.

Speedy J wrote:

But... that's the whole purpose of multiclass racing. And the S2 server is ... a multiclass server!!

But I don't think anyone should deliberately create multiclass racing unless it can be helped. I understand why CG is MC, it was the (IHR) replacement after all, and to incentivise the points/SR system you need other cars that people can aim to get. But in real life the purpose of MC racing is to provide a big enough grid out of classes which do not have enough to form their own race, not to simply create passing by faster cars, i.e. LMP1+2 really needs GTE-Pro/Am at Le Mans otherwise you'd only have 28 of the 56 cars on a 13 km track.

I mean, how many classes do you have which could not actually hold their own in a single or two class race? STD, TBO, LX4, LRF, UFB, NGT, GT2 - all of these (bar LRF perhaps) could host their own server instead of having to share the same 32 car grid, instead of being in a class with a handful of other cars. Do you have any statistics about class usage over the course of a day?

Also, as you saw with Norbert Wolf, the S2 server is perhaps not the most friendly for newer guys, and at the end of the day, LFS needs as many new players as we can get, right? They go to the popular server but have to drive an STD with maybe one or two others, at the mercy of all the faster cars.

Personally I'd like to see each class rotated for a week, one class per day, to see what happens. :P

As for leaving space in the grid, pretty sure it can't be done in LFS at the moment.

Offline initial D AE86
Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:49 pm Post 
I have the same sentence as speedy, all classes may be racing, but you must keep certain principles such as yellow and blue flag, and really can now race and have fun :yes:

Offline Derohk
Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:36 pm Post 
i wish that lower classes would get the BLUE/ORANGE-striped flag which would signify that a higher class is approaching and to give some room for them so they dont just bowl you over as they may be battling for the lead seeing as the races are much too short to not battle constantly almost (id rather see 20-25 minute races like 20-25 laps on 1 mile circuits). and 20 minutes is about as much of a sprint race it gets imo anything else is qualifying with tons of cars on track lol. come with me to the 25 at thunderhill and ill show you a long race ;)

Offline Nicce
Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 pm Post 
Derohk wrote:
BLUE/ORANGE-striped flag which would signify that a higher class is approaching

imo.. just open thoes 2 eyes and everything will work.
and there is allready a BLUEflag system in LFS.. ;) ;) ;) ;).. but it would be more okay tho IF the GT´s-NRG catch a Xfg/Xrg/Ufb that it showed yellow flag on "GT" screen cause of slower traffic.

and its multiclass server.. ;)

Offline delta s4
Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 pm Post 
does it make sense of having GTI cars on a S2 server? i think not
thats why the demo server is there, to drive that class of cars, thats why the S1 is there, to drive the S1 cars, and S2 should be only for S2 cars in my view.

imagine a F1 race with the F3000 cars and some gokarts in the mix, it makes no sense.

Offline tRoopeR
Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:43 pm Post 
Another example:

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I have the right to be pissed with this:
First turn www.cargame.nl/dl.php?id=353299
They caught up, and turned like no tomorrow.

[Also there is something nice in 8.00 but anyway, its a general racing accident with a driver going back in course without care]

Class rotation like boothy said seems a good idea. :honger:

Offline eXeYn
Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm Post 
Why have a full single class server if you can have a full multi class server and reverse.

It is still only one server.

Offline delta s4
Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm Post 
i'm not saying it should be a single class per server, but find a way to have similar classes that dont ruin each other races, GTR or GT2 with the XFR, UFR, LX6 and even the FZ5 on the S2 server would be great, but mixing such slow cars as the GTI's with those it causes a lot of problems after 2 or 3 laps.

[ 15 posts ]